Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Is God closer than you think

I am beginning, well, actually looking at the book "God is closer than you think" and thinking to myself, "I should really read this". Well, I havent started yet. Still, I was wondering if we really do think that God is closer than we think. As a Pastor, it seems sometimes that God is really far away. There appears to be a cloud over my brain and it is like pulling teeth to take the personal time that I need to take as a minister. As a Pastor, I am always giving and very rarely getting fed. I have said in previous blogs that it is hard for me sometimes to worship without thinking about the next thing and the service moving smoothly. The question behind all of this is how does a person who is always around the church and working with people in the church not become numb sometimes? Is God closer than I feel? Lets hope so because sometimes it feels as though he is on the other end of eternity. You know what I mean? I realize Christians cant go by their feelings or we would all be insecure little ooopma loompas worrying about everything and no Willy Wonka (God) to give us a better life.

What do you think? Do you ever have "numb" periods in your faith?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think everyone (Christians, pastors, lay people, etc.) go through periods of feeling "numb." Sometimes we have so much on our plates that we feel like we're the only ones doing anything. I think it is a fairly "normal" feeling. And, YES, God is closer than we think. It is wonderful to know that even though we feel isolated sometimes that we can have the assurance that God is still with us, still protecting us, giving us the energy and strength to do what we need to for Him, others, our families and to squeeze in some time for self. You are in a particularly stressful time of your life - starting out as a Pastor (I know you have been there a year, but it is still new for you). You are learning things about people, the church, and how it all works together. PLUS, the BIG day is coming and there are a million details to make sure it is the perfect day you and Sarah have planned for.

So, hang in there. God is still with you, no matter how numb you feel, how unorganized, etc., etc. you feel. He has not moved, has not changed HIS address....just rest assured He is there, even when we are too tired to call on Him. HE LOVE US SO MUCH!!

Take some quiet time for yourself this week.

Love you,

Aunt Lana

Anonymous said...

I think that Lana pretty much hit it on the head. We all feel that way and sometines it is hard to get fed with all our responsibilites in church. Hang in there...........I'll be praying for you and all the stress.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I think that Lana pretty much hit it on the head. We all feel that way and sometines it is hard to get fed with all our responsibilites in church. Hang in there...........I'll be praying for you and all the stress.

Love, Mom