Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Examples in my life...

It is odd for me as I think about the examples of the male role models I have had in my life. Most of them were strong Christians and had a great witness for Christ. They were passionate about church and loved the congregation with all of their heart. I guess subconsicously I am only talking about the Pastor/husbands here so bear with me... there were three main examples that I was exposed to over the past 23 years...

First, the "I have a mistress and her name is the church type Husband/pastor". This example showed me great compassion and a relentless approach to loving others. This one was a great shepherd and knew his congregation well. He had compelling sermons that were usually deep (because he would spend multiple hours Saturday night studying) and thoughtful. However, I can't remember this h/p being a good husband or father. He was gone long hours, always had something to do and I can't ever remember him showing affection to my mother. I don't ever remember him bringing her flowers or cards or gifts for no reason. It seems to me that he had a greater love than his wife and family...the church. Mistakes I see: simple, he forgot to love his wife and children not because he didnt love them, but because they truly were priority number 2. What I want to take from this h/p: not to put on a show, but for others to know that I am so passionately in love with Sarah just as much as I love the body of Christ. I don't want my children to feel like I feel about this h/p and to have to just "deal" with it. More importantly, as Peggy (Sarah's mom) talked about in her letter in the Ossian paper...I want to " live and love extravagantly for their God, as well as for each other". I guess this is one reason I am a romantic. Conclusion: Paul wrote that we (husbands) are to love our wifes as Christ loved the church. Simply put, we are to love our bride with reckless abandonment. To put them in our hearts and love them enough to lay our lives (not just physical, but our wants and needs and desires) down for their sake.

To be continued...

Good Day.

No comments: