Friday, September 30, 2005

the problem with...

Having been at a church for over a year as a full time pastor, I have learned that there is one thing that the older generation (meaning 55+) really have gotten set in their way. What am I talking about? Worship of course. Last Sunday I sang 5 "newer" songs that the reason people didnt like because they didnt know them. Well, as it later hit me...it was really just another excuse for them to be stubborn and for everyone else to say" well that's just the way it is". 3 of the songs were in the CHURCH'S computer, which means that they are not new. Another song we had sang less than a month ago which leaves only 1 song that was NEW. So it comes down to them simply not LIKING the songs we sang.

Isnt it about time for us, not to call them on their opinions (which is why we love the music we love), but rather on their inability to "worship" in any other style they dont like? If it was in any other area, we would call it as we see it, sin. It comes down to both groups being stubborn and selfish. Still, I dont here many people going up to their Senior Pastors and telling him that they didnt like worship this morning because it was all hymns. Do you? Am I just taking my criticism too personal? Maybe. Are the elders of the church given a free pass to be stubborn and judgemental about the music? I think so.

The biggest thing here is who we are worshipping not how we are worshipping him. Worship leaders shouldn't have to pick songs for the congregation. They need to choose songs to worship God. I'm done, I promise.


Good Day.

No comments: