Monday, September 26, 2005

I need forgiveness

My friend Terry came up to help me lead the worship yesterday morning for service. I had it all prepared and had selected the songs and made the order of worship...nothing different than most sunday's. We sang some "contemporary" songs that a majority of the people over 45 wouldnt know (that is a different story though)...as I have written in previous posts, I have found it hard to simply worship during services where I was doing a part of the service. I would be too worried about the congregation liking the music or getting them involved like that was my job!!! Then, about half way through, it happened. It was like God hit me with a DUH stick right across my forehead. It seemed to me as he said " Andy, you arent singing these songs for these people are you? Andy, you arent picking them out for their approval are you? Andy, you arent singing them about the congregation are you? Then, I had realized that I, like the writer of Heart of Worship had been doing everything wrong. Yes, I had been picking the songs for those people, and yes I had been seeking their approval and yes I was just singing to those people. God took my frustration with the whole issue of music and in one fell swoop evaporated it into thin air. I needed forgiveness as a Pastor, as a Youth Pastor, and simply as a Christian. My heart was in the wrong place...it was a God thing that he did that when he did because I dont know what I would have done if that had not happened before I was "talked to" after service by a "saint" of the church...more on that tomorrow...

my point is this: I needed to refocus my life to realize that as Paul put it in Colossians 3:23...whatever I do needs to be done for the lord and not for men because we know that our treasures are heaven treasures and not some earthly, temporal cracker jack treasures....


Good Day

No comments: