Wednesday, September 07, 2005

What about them...

This past Friday I went with Sarah to visit her Dad's mom in her nursing home. She was in the Alzhiemer's unit. Sarah warned me going in that she says a lot of different things to different people and told me not to get offended by anything she says. Good start huh? Well, we get in there and she has a good grasp on reality today. She was sitting in the dinning area with the other people and we began to talk with her. About 10 minutes into the conversation, after me thinking to myself, "boy, this would be horrible if it happened to me" and "what does God do with people that have lost part of their sanity", the group began to sing. "Holy, holy, holy. Lord God almighty...then came the second verse..."though the darkness hides thee" it hit me that God had not forgotten any of these people. He STILL knew them by name and they were his children. Shame on me and shame on America for having similar thoughts about our elderly. Growing old doesn't mean that we lose our importance. It only means that we have lost some hair, some memories and maybe our teeth!!! No, but seriously, it should bring peace to our souls to realize that what Jesus said is still true in September 2005...God will never leave us or forsake us!!! How great is our God


Good Day

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful thoughts for those of us who are growing older....Love, Mom