Monday, September 19, 2005

T.V. head...

No more whining this week…I promise. The dark cloud that was last week is gone and I feel a lot better…spiritually and mentally. Last night I talked to the youth group about spending time with God. Sounds simple enough right? I asked them how many hours last week they spent watching T.V. or listening to the radio…average in the group: 70 hours!!! How many of them spent 25 or more hours playing video/computer games: at least 10 of the 25. How many hours online, on the phone: most spent 20-40 hours last week. Then I asked them how many spent more than an hour and a half reading their Bible: 0. Zip. Nada. Nobody had read more than an hour and a half or prayed or just spent time with God. This scares me. Does it scare you? Your friends, your children, your nieces, nephews, grandkids are spending multiple times over more time playing games, watching T.V, entertaining themselves than spending time with God. Hmmm…where did we go wrong? We, meaning everyone that is not a teenager, still struggle with this don’t we? Are we brave enough, strong enough to do anything about it? Could we give up one more hour this week for God? Most of us would probably say yes, but would we do it? What do you think? Am I being too “old-fashioned” in my thinking? Does it really matter if we spend more time entertaining ourselves than doing anything that is God-centered? Maybe I just grew up in a time capsule and should have been born in the 40’s. Still, I didn’t and this is something that bothers me. Does it bother you, or is this something you can just blow off to the culture?




Good Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andy - Glad your dark cloud has moved on. We go through times like that, no matter what our age or profession.

You make such a good point about the time we DON'T spend with God, or reading our Bibles, etc. At my age, with no kids in the house, I am guilty, too. Thanks for pointing it out to me!!

Love and prayers,

Aunt Lana