Monday, August 22, 2005

A mile wide and an inch deep

Good morning...

As I sat down this morning, my mind kept racing through the different things that I needed to get done. The list looks something like this: get sermon for sunday night, get sunday morning worship ready, get water games ready for sunday night, decorate the Oasis for sunday night, get my brakes changed, call the kids that werent here sunday and the list goes on and on...it seems that Youth Pastors get this way every once in a while. There are so many things that we are doing and then we get really good ideas that should be done and are probably in God's plan for the church but then we start becoming spread out over a ton of things. This causes some people who are not called to be pastors, such as laity helping to do these things, to use a buzzword: burnout. I have heard from various people talking to me about burning out and the such. I have seen it first hand and the effects it has on everyone involved. My dad did it. Still, I think there is something more dangerous for pastors in this area. I think there is a thing that is more hurtful to all involved and it is for the pastor to just go through the motions. There was a quote I heard in college that went something like this, "There is nothing more deadening to the soul than to constantly be on the outside of holy things". Get it? God wants our hearts to be in everything we do. He doesnt want a half-hearted attempt at anything. Pastors get so dry sometimes that all they are doing is going through the motions.
So thinking about this and hearing it from others has sent me into a different direction. I am trying, keyword is trying, to delegate things to others. It is hard for me, especially if I know that they are loaded down with so much of their own. I would rather do it myself and let them just enjoy being here. However, I will eventually get burnt out and be useless if I don't learn this eventually. What do you think? Is it hard for you to delegate?

Good day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Delegation is good, when you can do it. It is hard for a person, like you, a real worker for the Lord, to let others help you and ask for help. Look at it like this, others need to feel like they are doing their part to help, too. DELEGATE!!!!