Tuesday, August 16, 2005

House hunting and keeping the faith

As Sarah and I have been looking for a place to live the stress has been building up. It didnt hit me all of the sudden but after family camp last week the pressure just kept adding up. I was looking at a house yesterday and called the number and got an answering machine. Then Sarah asked me to pray about it...novel idea. So I stopped right there and prayed about it. I asked that God's will would be done and that he would open the right doors and close the wrong ones. Still, I really liked that house. I would go as far as saying that, if the house looks good on the inside as it does on the outside, that I would sign the lease today. But that got me thinking...do we really use faith in God in our everyday lives? It seems to me that we have become a culture that is increasingly turning into a "I have to see it to believe it" country. We make most of our decisions on "common sense". Do we trust God to work in situations like these? Or do we just think that he sits back watching us live our lives? Which ever one we decide really shapes not just our daily lives but our daily faith. I want to have more faith, more daily faith in the daily things...still sometimes it seems too trivial for the creator of the universe to open doors for me to live in a house in northern Indiana. Then I am reminded of the old spiritual, "his eye is on the sparrow so I know he is watching me!" I need to trust him not only in the big, life-altering things but also in the daily, minute, mundane things. Good day...

No comments: