Wednesday, August 17, 2005

just a thought

I was just reading Matthew's account of Jesus walking on water and then Peter's failed attempt at the same thing. Jesus asked him why did you doubt...but what did Peter doubt? Jesus? No because he believed enough to jump into a roaring sea. That Jesus could save him? No, refer to the first answer. What did he doubt? He doubted himself. We call on others to have faith in God and that will get them where they need to go. Still, why do so many fail at half-hearted attempts at going deeper with Christ than we've ever been? I am starting to think it is because of the diminished value we have placed on human beings. In the couples devotional that Sarah and I are doing it talked about us being children of God. We need to treat the other person in the relationship like they were literally God's child. Can you imagine? God as a father in-law?! Yikes! Sarah's dad is imposing enough (not that I am scared of him or anything but I think he looks like Hulk Hogan in the face)...anyways...we have dropped the ball on this I think. As a pastor I deal with people everyday, its my job. Its my calling. I hear so many people talking about this person or that person that it sometimes, if I am not careful, causes me to start spewing their thoughts out of my mouth. It is like yawning, once someone starts it is hard to stop. To the point: We need to work on not only treating others as children of God made in His likeness...but by having more faith in ourselves. The kind of faith that God has in us. Get out of the boat!!!

No comments: