Monday, March 03, 2008

Pressure and Trust


I don't think in my adult life (circa 2004, since graduating college and being in the real world) have I ever needed a vacation more than right now. I hate it when people pressure me but most of all, I hate it when I pressure myself. I often times put undue pressure on myself without even realizing it until I am sitting in my office chair on a Monday morning. There is pressure from work, pressures at home, pressures it seems that are rising as quick as gas after eating at buffalo wild wings. I hate the fact that when we are young and have no responsibilities that we don't relish it enough. I was talking with my brother this morning and just thinking about how nice it was just to be together and hanging out without a pressure in the world. What this all boils down to is two things I want to talk about:


1. When I get pressured or feel like I am the only person doing anything, I either get short with people or I shut down and don't talk with people. I often don't like to give other people things to do that I need done because I don't trust them or am worried that it will cause more problems than help for me. So this translates into people putting my wife in the middle. They think that I am unapproachable. And I am starting to wonder if that is the case? Am I unapproachable when there is something I don't like or agree with on the table? I really don't know. As a Pastor, I guess I feel like I always have to have an answer, whether right or wrong, all the time. That grades on me because sometimes I really don't have an answer or know what the best thing to do is.

2. Trust. God and I have been conversations about this. I was preaching on this very thing a couple of weeks ago in the morning worship service and as I was preparing, I thought about Phil. 4:13: I can do everything through him who gives me strength, and it hit me that we often take this to mean that we can do whatever it is that we are doing and God will give us strength. However, I think that it is saying that we can do anything when Christ is at work through us. I sometimes get so busy with ministry and doing stuff, that I forget that God is the one that makes things happen. You could have the worst preparation and things fall apart for an event but if God has been called upon and he enters the scene it is going to be breathtaking. God is giving me more opportunities to trust Him and I am trying my best to do just that.


I hope this finds you well and joyful in Jesus.

1 comment:

The Hollands said...

Andy, two late nighters in one week... You deserve a vacation. Get some sleep, spend time with your wife, and enjoy life. In my old age I have found it will all be there when you get back. So take some time for yourself. Hmmm maybe I should take some time off too. ;)
~Brian
PS thanks for the encouraging words about my part in the over-nigheter.