Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Life is short

Yesterday, I was working on thing in my office and the computer starting going through old pictures of the youth group. I started looking at the kids and it hit me, in a few years, all of the kids that are in the group now will be gone. I know that that is just the way it goes but I have really lost a ton of students yet from one class that graduated. However, this years juniors will be gone after next year. There are like 5-6 people we are going to lose and it really just hit me. I wish things could always stay the same...same people...same job...same lifestyle...but things always change. For instance, our friendship with some friends up here. When they went through their divorce and all we really didn't know what to do. We were heart broken. So, we really didn't have contact with either of them for about 5-6 months. No calls, hardly anything. Then, last Sunday he came the the Kick-off...then we went to his house on Friday...then today Sarah and Gwen are going to Shipshewana...out of the blue...I just text message her like I felt God was telling me to do months ago and bam! No contact for 6 months and now they are off.

Life is too short to really judge people. God really opened my eyes when I was studying this past week. He showed me that I don't know what the person who has slipped had gone through. I didn't know how much they were tempted...how hard they had tried to stay the course...and ultimately what I would have done had I been in that situation. Stop living a life of worry and judging others. Stop worrying about what this person is doing or what that person is doing. It is really not worth it in the end. Life is short...we are like grass and vapors and clouds...we are always on the move. Just don't get so caught up on one little thing that you forget to live the rest of your life.
SMYG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya', Swinl,

It's so easy to get caught up in the judging game when we look at others. But I believe the judging/legalism thing is really just veiled Christian immaturity. We may be looking at those things through the plank in our owm eyes - and it can distort our vision.

The greatest of these is LOVE - we must love our friends and family - even when they disappoint us and let us down. More than likely, we will let them down in some way if we haven't already.

Peggiford