Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The God of the OT vs. the God of the NT

I am diligently trying to read through the One Year Bible this year...I am up to date with the reading...I just came through the section where God "gives" the land of Canaan to the Israelites. It talked about how God helped the people essentially wipe out a whole region of people, their towns and their existance. If that would happen now, we would think it a catastrophic event and wonder what God was thinking or even doing. We don't have to worry about that in this situation. God was there, helping the Israelites destroy men, women and children without a second thought. Now I get that God told Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Moses that he would give them that land. It was his word and he cannot go back on it. Still, as I finished the reading I thought to myself, "Did those people ever have a chance at redemption?" Did they know that what they were doing was wrong? Did God try to give them an opportunity to follow him and maybe just move instead of totally being killed? I don't know....that is why I am asking the questions I guess. I find it hard to relate this God who is seemingly blindly in love with a people who turn their back just as much as the rest of the nations did, to the one that Jesus and the NT books talk about being a loving, merciful God. The Bible even says that it is not God's will that anyone should die and go to hell. So how do you relate these two?

SMYG

No comments: