Monday, April 24, 2006

Dreams

Last night, I talked to the teens about dreaming and their own dreams. I went around the room and asked each of them what they wanted to do when the grew up and then bashed them and pretty much told them that they couldn't do that. It got some mixed reviews and I think it really opened some of their eyes. I told them that if they thought what I did was rough, just wait until they graduate and see what the outside world does and says to them about their dream.

This was a tough topic for me to talk about because it has been hard for me to dream. I am not sure what I am supposed to dream about being a pastor and all. I have absolutely no dreams of becoming a D.S. or G.S. or anything close to that. I don't dream of being the pastor at a Mega church. I don't know what a pastor is supposed to dream about.

I don't think it is right for me to dream about the youth group to grow in faith, that should be a goal and something that I am working on.

I am not a very strong dreamer. I guess that shows me where I am at in my life. I mean, there are things that I want to see happen. I want to feel hunger for something big! I want to thirst for something bigger than me...larger than what I have the ability to do. So many times, it seems, that people (myself included) don't try something or do something that seems larger or bigger than what they think their skill set allows them to accomplish. Failure causes more action (or lack thereof) than does faith from what I have seen. People don't want to fail and so they don't even try.

I am no scholar and I don't want to be. You will never see a post from me about the missional church or social holiness or the emergent church. I am a pastor that is trying to dream big for his kids. They aren't doing it for themselves!

Pray that God helps me to dream big!

SMYG.