Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Surprised by love

In our culture, few things ever truly surprise us. We have become a culture that is over-stimulated in many different and alarming ways. Still, sometimes things catch us off guard and really stand out and cause us to at least pause for a moment. That is what happened the other day to Sarah.

I love being a jokester. I've tied the occasional rubber band around the sprayer on the sink so that water comes shooting out onto the unsuspecting aqua seeker. I've played practical jokes and gotten many laughs out of it. The other day was a pretty good one. Sarah and I were getting ready for bed and I had finished first and went on to bed. Well, the covers were placed in such a perfect pattern of lumpiness that Sarah didn't see me. I know, a miracle but nonetheless,it happened. Well, she came in the bedroom and I really didn't know that she didn't see me so I was making a crazy face with some crazy eyes. That's when it happened. After setting the alarm and grabbing the remote, her eyes caught my eyes and after much laughter (on my part) and remote-throwing (her part) Sarah was genuinely surprised.

Erwin McManus tells a story in book "Soul Cravings" about some ducks that had taken up residence in his back yard. The couple had some ducklings and as the harsh world goes, the small birds began to come up missing. With the crows and cats and skunks being the hunters, McManus tells of a night where he was surprised.
One evening I woke up in the middle of the night...and found myself shouting, "Did you hear that quack?" Kim tried to calm me down and encouraged me to go back to sleep. As I lay there in bed, haunted by what I knew were the implications of the sounds I had heard, I found myself having an entirely different conversation. I know it was inside my head, but it was as if I could hear God screaming, "Do you know how you feel about that duckling? The anguish that you're feeling this very moment, that's how I feel for every human being that walks the face of this earth."

When was the last time that you were surprised by love? The last time that you just couldn't believe how much that you were loved? Think about the woman that the Pharasees brought to Jesus. Caught in sin. Living with guilt and pain and rejection. Jesus showed her love. She was definitely surprised by love.


So often, we just go on about our daily lives trying to keep our emotions at bay. Not letting people see us for anything other than being strong and in control. However, we all know that there are times that we are just sinking and sinking hard. There are times when the waves are crashing and we are unable to move. Maybe you've lost a job. Maybe you have just been stuck in a rut and can't seem to find footing to get out. Maybe you've been living with the guilt and shame of unconfessed sin. Come to Jesus. Let yourself be surprised by His unconditional love. There are no rules or prerequisites. You don't have to be perfect and have it all together to be loved by Him. You want hope? He is Hope. You need love? He is love. You need wisdom? He is the author of wisdom. You need a helping hand that loves without asking questions? He is reaching out. Don't let love pass you by. Be surprised today by Christ's love.

Jesus loves me this I know
For the Bible tells me so
Little ones to Him belong
They are weak, but He is strong

Yes Jesus Loves Me
Yes Jesus Loves Me
Yes Jesus Loves Me
The Bible tells me so!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love it - couldn't agree more.