Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Fun Fun Fun

I had a girl that hasnt been coming to youth group lately tell me that her dad said that she had to come on Sunday morning to "real" church to be able to go to youth group and have fun. I was on vacation and was talking with a mom and she said that she would keep her kid from coming to youth group as a punishment because it was a fun activity. I've had numerous kids say that their parents grounded them from coming to youth group events. We've got families in the church that won't let their kids come to youth because all we do is have fun. I'm fed up and tired of this. Really.
Here I am, working my but off to 1.) have an atmosphere and events that kids will WANT to come to 2.) Have people that will help me sponsor those events 3.) Have content that will mean something to this ever changing generation 4.) Make sure that I build relationships with these kids because if you don't they won't care and then I have parents fighting against me? C'mon! Really? Do they know that I am telling their kids to:

1. Honor their parents
2. To do their best in school because it will matter in the end
3. Telling them that they need to deal with their anger and attitudes
4. Helping them understand that they need to read their bible and pray
5. To be better people by following Christ

Does that sound like something that we should be keeping our kids away from? Mind boggling!

Do we have fun? You bet ya! I love having fun...but I also love it when these kids finally start getting it. Youth group isnt all fun and games...don't be the enemy be the solution!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey man keep up the fight. Too many church people see us as cruise directors and activity coordinators. Keep being faithful to what God has called you to and you will have no regrets. Don't ever forget that children and youth ministry are the MOST important ministries in a church. most people make decisions for christ before they are 14 and most huge life decisions and their consequences are realized in the teens. Keep going man, you are making a difference for Christ.

Aaron Lee

The Hollands said...

hmmm and so many people wonder why there are not a lot of 20 year olds in church and that they leave the church after graduation.

JellyVision said...

I know right?