Monday, November 26, 2007

Be near me Lord Jesus

As Christmas approaches, it seems my view of God changes a bit. Christmas just brings everything a little bit closer. Like a giant huddle underneath a blanket on a chilly night. Things, even though there are so many parties and different places to go, seem to slow down in the moments when I am alone. I was listening to Christmas music and this song came on and we have all heard it a million times but one part really struck me that day.

 "Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray;"


I had often thought of this verse as me being near the manger and seeing the baby and ME being near him. But in fact, it is Him that is near to us. He is the one that came from an eternal place of worship and peace and amazement to be in a place of sin and war and discontentment.

Most of the population on this spinning ball don't like to be alone. We have this innate sense of needing to be near someone else. We give up reason, freedom, choice and sometimes faith to be near someone or something else. We are made to be loved and to be touched. How wonderful and awe-inspiring would it have been to be able see Jesus? Would that make you have more faith today? If you could go in a time machine and actually see Jesus, would that give you more devotion and passion for the reasons he came?

In the end, after all the searching and questioning and empty pursuits to find love, it is to be found in one place. Away in a manger, no crib for a bed...the little Lord Jesus lays down His sweet head. The stars in the sky look down where he lay, the little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay.
There is no reason to look anywhere else for the love that you need.
Jesus has come this day!
A Saviour is born!
God truly is with us!
May God draw you close to Him this Christmas Season!

Merry Christmas,
Pastor Andy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Andy,

What beautiful thoughts you shared in this message. I am so glad you have a warm tender heart .... I am proud of who you are...

Love -- Aunt Lana

Anonymous said...

amen.

Peg