Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Unscript me...

Hey der... my blogs posts have come few and far between. I was looking at others blogs and thinking, "Man, I really need to start posting again".

This is probably my favorite time of year. Indiana Basketball is just around the corner, the NFL is in full swing, and the playoffs for baseball are just beginning. It is October! If you have seen the commercials for the MLB playoffs, you would have heard FOX's catch phrase...October is unscripted. That brings about a sense of excitement in my mind. See, it seems that most everything that I do as a Pastor is scripted. The messages, we were taught at IWU, need to written out word for word. The service needs to be on paper so that we know what is going on. The next three months need to be planned so that we have a clear direction.

Sarah recently told me that I am good at planning and thinking about big ideas and events and the like. However, I am not great at the small minute details. After looking back and thinking about it, she is 100% right. I think that I just like some things in my life to just happen. I mean for goodness sakes, people come in sunday mornings, sit in "their" seats (which by now have their own memory foam marks in the pew) and they do whatever is on the list.

Are there other areas that are so scripted that you just do them without even thinking about them? Spending time with family? Hanging out with friends? We get neither one of them up here. Sure, we have the occasional outing with a couple or a family event that is 2+ hours away. We come to take for granted the small things in life that really arent small at all.

My prayer is that God would surprise me and do something out of MY ordinary. I am tired of reading from the teleprompter!

No comments: