Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Salvation...

We had an interesting discussion sunday night at youth group. We were talking about different topics and the question was brought up does doing a certain thing (cussing, smoking, drinking etc) mean that you are not a follower of Christ? Then one of our teens spoke up and said that he believes that you have to do a lot to lose your salvation (mind you, he goes to a baptist high school). I know where I stand but I just wondered where you stand. To me, this borders on eternal security.


What does a person have to do to not be able to go to heaven?

Example: If someone gossips right before they walk into a street and get killed by a car are they going to heaven? Or if someone tells a lie because they don't want to hurt someones feelings and has a massive heart attack will they go to heaven?

Let me know what you think...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read my bible it tells me that if I have asked God into my life and I'mliving for him I will go to heaven. God knows my heart. I dont think God expects us to be perfect. The bigger issue to me is some of the things you listed could lead us down a path that would lead us away from Christ. I do think we need to try to live a Christ filled life. We also need to be carefull not to Judge others.
This can keep others away from Christ is this a sin?

Anonymous said...

OK -
sorry I haven't been keeping up lately.
I've heard a pastor say if you're worried about losing your salvation, you haven't lost it. In other words, a person's heart must be so hard that they no longer worry or care about things relating to God for them to have 'lost their salvation'.
I think we'll have to give account for everything truly un-confessed and repented of - but salvation happen when we cross the line of faith/get saved. If it was a true confession and calling out to Christ, you've been saved. You'l grow, fall, get up, stumble, grow some more, etc..

Peggiford

Glenn Knepp said...

I think Wes is reacting against the all too common Wesleyan feelings that one sin leads to Hell.

I felt the same way at his age, and am now inclined to believe in the eternal security of those who are entirely sanctified. Although, in their case there is no willful sin involved (I haven't quite worked through it in my own mind yet).

In the end, there is something to be said for the viewpoint (even though I ultimately disagree with it) because it takes very seriously the act of atonement on the cross and the power of the grace of God to continually persuade us to walk in "the righteous way."

Give him time, he'll be fine.