Thursday, January 11, 2007

Things that are on my heart...

Hello...last week was amazing and wonderful to get away and to be really challenged in my walk with Christ and as a pastor. I am in the bullet mood lately so I think I will stick with it:



1. Coming away from that conference, I have a sense of urgency that the church needs to change or else. Looking at all the numbers and polls et al, church in the small towns or even in the large towns that are "old fashioned" are not reaching out to the unchurched or previously churched to bring them in. They think that since that is the way that it (church) has always been done, that's how they got saved that it should be good enough for this generation. Well, it's not. Numbers don't lie. Numbers aren't everything but I think too often that the smaller churches use the mantra that it is not the numbers that matter in growth, it is spiritual growth too often. However, while the bible does talk about spiritual maturation, it also talks about growing in numbers too! We must be reaching out and bringing in the people that we are missing and walking by each and every day. It is my heart to do this however and whatever it takes to bring this to fruition at Shiloh!

2. The church is changing big time and I am not sure how many people know it! Or should I say the unchurched are changing and no one in the church knows it!

3. Can a staff pastor get a vision for a church or does it have to come from the Senior pastor?

4. I am wondering, if a pastor doesn't have a vision, how much can a church grow? How does a church grow and get behind a vision if there is no vision?

5. Why are we (Christians/pastors) so worried about feelings and hurting them? I am fed up with the direction that I have had to go because there were people who MIGHT get their feelings hurt! Is it worth it to NOT follow what God has placed on your heart just so that a few won't get their feelings hurt?

6. The church is not called to maintain...it is not called to be a country club where we (pastors) are having activities and "entertainment" for the guests! We (the church) are one body, including myself...we are one body...one spirit...one purpose...or we are supposed to be. God has called us to reach out and make contact with those who are disillusioned with life and the church, those who are hurting and aren't getting their needs met somewhere else! Christ said go and make disciples not go and get some people who are like you, start a church, build all these traditions and waver not! However, many Christians have changed the great commission to this.

7. Music is BIG for reaching my generation and the generations to come. You don't need a slick service, you need some songs that touch their hearts and mean something to them in a genre of music that they actually would listen to outside of the church. At least this is my opinion.

8. I need to pray more. Not the "on-the-go" prayer but rather the get away and do nothing but seek God's face kind of prayer.

9. I need to reach out more to the fringe kids we have. Go to them and befriend them and make them feel a part of our ministry.

10. Finally, I plan on writing a blog every thursday. Other blogs will be extra but I want to try and write something...every thursday...


God, challenge me, change me, move me...just don't let me leave the same!

No comments: