Wednesday, January 24, 2007

It's not me against the world...

I grew up in a small church. The first church that I went to averaged maybe 40-45 people. I still have memories of my dad challenging the congregation to get 100 people there on Easter and if they did, he was going to preach from the roof! Thinking back now, the challenge probably shouldn’t have been to PREACH more J. It should have been like a pie in the face or something that people WANT to have happen! Us Jellison’s are known for being long winded preachers. So we were a small, inward focused church as are many small churches. By being in such a small church something interested happened in my mind. No one said it (that I can remember) but I sure felt it. I felt it even though we would sing songs like “I don’t care what church you belong to”. I always had an “It’s us against the world” attitude and this INCLUDED other churches!
Now, being a pastor, I have come to the conclusion that this is simply not the case. There is only one enemy and that is the one who is free to roam earth tempting others to follow him: Richard Simmons! No really, the only enemy is Satan. I have come the realization that not everyone will get their needs met at my church and if they don’t get them met here, by all means get them met somewhere! I realize my generation has bought into the consumer Christian mindset as they are always thinking that they need options and choices and are looking for what best suits them as opposed to what best suits God’s plan. So this means that churches need not feel the same way that I felt as a child. If someone is getting help at your church and they are growing and are in a relationship with God, then be satisfied with that. We often get what Coach Drury said was the “Missing Duck” syndrome. We (pastors) often tend to look at those who weren’t here as opposed to was here. The illustration says that “you don’t have to get all of the ducks to have a good duck hunt!” This is plastered on my wall and is daily becoming plastered on my heart. Other churches aren’t the enemy…it is Satan and him only!

No comments: