Monday, November 13, 2006

It's all about Jesus

This morning on my way to work, after having been on vacation from all things ministry for four days, I felt that slight twinge of dryness and spiritual emptiness that has dogged me for the past few months. I was hoping that getting away and taking some time off would refresh me and the waters of christendom would once again wash over me and saturate me for the upcoming busy-crazy-insane holiday season. When that didn't happen with the hot tub and cozy rooms and good food and time with my wife, I sat there in my truck on the same drive that I take every morning, dejected. Then, I started singing this song out of the blue. It was as if God had sent an angel into my truck and it had opened my mouth and shoved the words in and they were now coming out without me even knowing it. I was thinking before I left for the trip that maybe I wasn't cut out for ministry and the drain it takes on you spiritually. Maybe I wasn't strong enough as a Christian myself because I was having such a dry season and couldn't for the life of me feel refreshed and good. This morning, that refreshing came quick and swift and just in time. I let church get in the way of my relationship with Jesus. I let order of worships, criticism, pastoral prayers, messages, themes, meetings, driving the vans, essentially everything come before the real reason I live...Jesus! We can do nothing if he is not in it. I can plan the biggest event, get the most students here and have the biggest bands around but if Jesus isn't in it, it is all as Paul called it, poo!

I hope this means something to someone else. If you are dry and thirsty, don't look for something to refresh you...look for someONE...JESUS!

Heart of Worship by Matt Redman


When the music fades, All is stripped away, And I simply come; Longing just to bring something that´s of worth That will bless Your heart. I´ll bring You more than a song, For a song in itself Is not what You have required. You search much deeper within Through the way things appear; You´re looking into my heart.

I´m coming back to the heart of worship, And it´s all about You, All about You, Jesus. I´m sorry, Lord, for the thing I´ve made it, When its all about You, All about You, Jesus.(Matt Redman, Kingsway´s Thankyou Music)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are feeling refreshed in Jesus.
But I've been thinking that it's possible that the Lord is beginning to stir the pot for where you are right now... it may be the early rumblings of a shift in direction for you and Sarah.
That's sometimes how it begins...
Peg