Friday, December 11, 2009

The nearness of Christ

I love Christmas.  I love the cold weather and the snow and ice and all of that.  It drives Sarah CRAZY...and she usually follows my cheerful backing of all that Winter brings with, "Do you want me to die on the roads?"  Of course I don't :)  There is just something about the cold and the low hanging clouds that makes Christ feel closer to me.  It might be that I am so far from family and friends and don't get to see them that often.  It might be that through struggles and trials, many times the frustration blurs my vision and I feel distant from any and everything.  It might be that I love getting under a blanket and making sure I am COMPLETELY covered and knowing that in a few short minutes I will probably be too hot and uncovering myself!  (true story)...

However with all that in mind of what it may be that causes me to love the cold...I think that Christmas being here and having a child this year really brings to light what it meant that Jesus came like he did.  Not only in the way but the simple fact that while we (meaning humanity) were searching for other things and wanted other stuff to happen, He came in a way that for over 2000 years has brought warmth and comfort throughout the entire year.  He came near...he came from far away...somewhere else...to be near us.  In this big wide world, which I have never been to another country or to even illustrate this point more, I have never been further west on the US than St. Louis, he came near and it feels much closer than we probably deserve. When I walk outside and look up and see the stars and my breath at the same time and wonder how far away that is, it is then that I feel Him closest.

 So many times it feels like life is passing us by and some times it feels like we just are alone and everyone else is doing something amazing or fun and we are left out.  However, during this time of year, it is nice to know that we all slow down (eventually) and spend time with family and friends and we celebrate the nearness of Christ. 

I pray that during these last few days leading up to Christmas that you'll get done whatever it is that you HAVE to do...leave alone what doesn't need to be done and enjoy the closeness of those around you and the nearness of Christ!  Oh how He loves us...

No comments: