Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Jellyland update 8.25.09

Hey everyone!  Thought I'd give you an update on this beautiful Tuesday morning.  I hope this finds you strong in your faith as we all learn to lean.


10.  I am loving the "Summer" of 09.  It hasn't really been hot at all.  I am ready for the cool breezes and leaf changing of Fall and the bone-chilling, snow falling coldness of Winter.  I know people really don't like the Winter but just think how boring it would be if the weather was the same all year round?  I mean, it would be like Florida.  I guess I'll have to retire somewhere else. 


9.  Sarah watched HG TV a lot.  So that means I get to watch it too.  I have grown accustomed to shows about people buying their first house or getting a new one and I've come to one conclusion:  People are crazy.  It is funny to see how people walk into a room and within 3-5 seconds have made up their minds about the room.  I can't stand it when people go in and say something about the paint or wallpaper and let that be a deciding factor.  That is like a lot of us who make some of our decisions based on absurd guidelines or standards.  I am just saying...


8.  Someone updated their status on Facebook the other day in the morning and said something about how frustrating life is and the usual tag lines that go with those words.  Then later on in the day, the same person said that things worked out and that God was good.  It made me kinda feel guilty because I do the same thing.  I am reminded of the southern Gospel song (I know right...childhood memories are like Jiffy mix...they just seem to stick around) that goes "the God of the good times, is still God in the bad times" and how human we are to doubt and sulk and stomp around when things are going wrong.  (read my blog from yesterday for more about that)

7.  As I am compiling my bucket list,  a wave of sadness I guess you could call it, swept over me.  If I could map out all the places that I have been over my 27 years of existence on this planet, my map wouldn't be that big.  The middle of Indiana from Anderson to Plymouth would be covered with lines.  I have been to New York, Washington D.C., along the eastern seaboard but much past Indiana to the West and the lines are few (Arkansas is as far west as I have ever been).  That is sad.  I am trying to talk Sarah into renting an RV-type thing and taking a road trip out west...however, it would take some BA Baracus type sedatives for Sarah to let me drive her and the kiddos in something like that!  :)  A man's gotta try right?

6.  Speaking of bucket lists...what is on your bucket list?  Do you even have one?  I don't know why this has come to the forefront but I find myself thinking about this list more and more often.  It is probably because I want Baby Jelly to see some incredible things when she gets here.  But what is on your list? I've only got one thing for sure on my list so far.  Help a brother out!

5.  I am not a parent yet...so though...but not yet.  It is frustrating to see parents with young kids (3-5) out in public like the scene yesterday in a local establishment.  This lady was speaking VERY loudly to her son.  She didn't do it once or twice...it was like every two or three minutes yelling about this or that.  It drove me bonkers.  Her's why:  trying to reason with a toddler seems like trying to reason with our two Boston Terriers.  They understand some things but you can't get into deep conversations as to why they shouldn't throw food and hit the old guy in the next booth.  Oh, my kids will behave...Sarah was already practicing her mean face during lunch yesterday, and there will be times when I get frustrated with them and try to reason with them...but Lex and Flash are dogs...so I treat them like a dog...a child is a child and we should treat them like a child and not an adult.  I know, I am not a parent...I know I know...but we can all have our pet peeves can't we?

4.  Football season is just days away...I am ready for some gridiron goodness.  I am also ready for Sports Illustrated to send me my Madden 10 game already!  There is a new store here in Plymouth that is going to have a Madden league.  Dude...I played in some leagues during my days at IWU but nothing since.  This is one happy fella'!  I need some male bonding over a good game of Madden.  I know, I am a geek...but I fully embrace my Geekness.  Deal with it...

3.  Images have more power over us than we know.  Point in hand, since Sarah has been pregnant, and since Sarah watching any show that deals with cake (seriously, you should see our DVR) every time she watches a show I will hear at least once, "OH...I want some cake."  Has she went and made any? Nope...every time we get near the cake isle I say something and she doesnt want it then.  However, if I get my way, last night during the "Andy, I am in bed and I can't get comfortable and fall asleep so you can't sleep either" stage of our evening, she was watching a show about Rice Krispy treats...and I think we (and by we I mean me) just might be scoring some ooey gooey marshmallowy goodness today.  But seriously, we must be careful what goes before our eyes...it has more power than we think.

2.  So every year we have a youth kick-off.  Every year I challenge the kids to get a certain number.  Each year I have some unsuspecting target that I get to offer up their hair for mine.  This year, things kind of spiraled.  At first it was my hair for one of the student leaders hair...simple.  Now it has turned into a gigantic hair affair.  It is the students hair vs. my hair, another sponsor hair and 'stache, another students hair AND eyebrows (I always try to get people's eyebrows...lol) and finally another sponsors CHEST HAIR!  Seriously...Sarah is super worried because she rags on how big my head is all the time...we've measured our heads and I do have a large melon (25 inches! Size 8 fitted hat) and she thinks I am going to look crazy...I will keep you updated...it is September 20th...pics to follow!

1.  Finally, baby update.  Sarah has had some issues with some blood pressure and them thinking she has pre-ecclampsia.  We went to the hospital sunday morning and missed church because the Dr. wanted her to come in and get monitored.  The BP went down and everything looks fine.  She is having some contractions here and there but nothing steady whatsoever.  We are taking long walks and doing our part.  Pray for her comfort the last few days as she is uber-uncomfortable right now and sleeping is an adventure.  Baby Jelly is due this Thursday (August 27th) so hopefully we have some new family pics soon!


"Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life." -Eph. 6:13-16 (The Message)

No comments: