Friday, December 05, 2008

Perspective

Who is Jesus to you?

I watched a sermon online today and it was talking about perspective and how it affects us. Automatically things and songs began popping into my head about my perspective right now.

1. My Jesus by Todd Agnew talks about which Jesus do we follow. Is it the one who is seemingly after the America dream? Does he pretty blue eyes, curly brown hair and a clear complexion? Or is it the one who was battered and scarred for our sins?

The last few Christmas's I have been thinking a lot about why he came rather than about the baby in the manger. It was incredible that he came so weak and so powerless. I love to be reminded of the stories but often times, like in the movie "Talladega Nights" we sometimes stop and have warped pictures of who Jesus really is. In that movie Ricky Bobby prays to "baby Jesus" and they all go around the table saying how they like to see Jesus. That is what the American Church has done due to the consumerist culture that we live in. We turn Jesus into something specific that we need rather than him being all we need. We perceive him to be an avenue to get to where we want to go, rather than being "THE Way, The Truth and The Life"!

2. Chris Tomlin sings a song "God of this City" and it talks about how God is not done working...a line in the song goes "greater things have yet to come, greater things are still to be done in this city". Wherever you are right now...don't miss God moving...maybe it is in the small things or maybe you are too close to see what he is doing. Take the time this Christmas season to look around and notice God's hand moving...changing and shaping the world around you!

3. The video above has really hit me in the face. I need to give more relationally and be aware of those around me...everyday...those people that I miss and that need to be noticed!

No comments: