Friday, July 06, 2007

All I can say is…hallelujah


Last week, I was at Sr. High doing the recreation for the students. It was a busy week and the best way for me to describe it is “controlled chaos”. However, in the midst of all that was going on around me, God done this work in my heart. The worship was at first, a struggle. I didn’t know a lot of the songs that were being sung. Still, there was an overwhelming theme and one word seemed to keep popping up. Hallelujah. Simple enough you say, right? Yep. That’s just it. It is such a simple word for us to use to tell this all-powerful, all-knowing, all-encompassing, all-loving, all-just, all-caring God just how we feel. The word literally means praise the Lord. I get so busy with life and ministry that sometimes I forget to do this. Last week wasn’t one of those weeks. There were powerful times of authentic worship where you were just caught up in the presence of the Holy One. My question has become, why do we just settle for this at big rallies or at camps or something “other” than what we have on Sunday mornings? Why do we just settle for doing our own thing and leaving? My answer: We don’t take the time to truly get into a spirit of authentic worship. Whether it be Victory in Jesus or Dance in the River, we fail on most Sunday mornings to drop to our knees (in our hearts mind you, because doing that for real would be out of line) and hunger and thirst after a touch, a moment with God. We have become such an ordered society that we have to live by a thing that we have made: a Clock. That has to be one of the worst inventions for the true Spirit of God to deal with. We have become so time oriented that it is “tradition” for us to get out at this time. Go ahead, give me the excuses…I can hear them now. No matter, I want, no scratch that, I need to come into contact with the Almighty more than I am right now. Now I could go get this organic worship, that comes from the heart and we are truly thinking about and meaning the words that are coming out of our mouths, on my own. I do meet with the Spirit in my alone times, however, I hunger to meet him with other believers! Being a Christian isn’t a solo act. We are supposed to be living out this faith with a community of believers. May we, as believers, start taking the time to start singing Hallelujah in our every day life and when we are together. May the Spirit of God move upon our services and start changing us, start challenging us and start equipping us to live lives that are full of praise and service so that Jesus may be lifted high. May we come to place in our life we all we can say is Hallelujah! Our God Reigns! He is in control of all! Hallelujah!

No comments: