Thursday, May 04, 2006

Youth Pastor vs other Pastor

Hey, I was just wondering...do you think of youth pastors different from other Staff or Senior Pastors? It is interesting because most of the church calls Pastor John...Pastor John. While most of them call me Andy...it doesnt make a difference to me I was just wondering.


I know some people think of Youth Pastors as just doing that and getting some experience to become a "real pastor". I don't think of Youth ministry as a stepping stone to something else. It is where my heart is and I love every minute of it.


So what do you think?

SMYG

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Swin-

I think it depends on the person you're asking. Many think of 'the youth pastor' as a semi-kid himself - someone that has to be a little close to the edge of craziness/sanity to relate to teenagers well. And because they're aren't many 50 plus year old youth pastors, I guess some would consider it an interim-type job until a more 'regular-pastor job' comes along - senior pastor or otherwise.
There are many 'youth pastors' who have other full-time jobs, and are more like youth leaders than pastors -maybe that's why some see the youth pastor as not a full-fledged pastor...
I think I may be rambling now... it's late and I'm tired.
Bottom line - more and more are realizing that being a youth pastor can be a career, a ministry, a calling, rather than a stepping stone to something else. It could just simply be because you're younger than many adults in your church, they think of you as simply Andy, rather than Pastor Andy.

Out of curoisty, how do you want to be considered? What do you want to be called?

Peggiford

JellyVision said...

I don't mind either way...some of the people do call me pastor andy and msot of the kids do so I will take what I can get.


Honestly, it doesnt hurt my feelings I was just wondering on the subject.

Anonymous said...

I think many of us look at you as a beloved son. It isn't meant to be a lack of respect and we all know you are doing a great work at Shiloh.
This may be an area we need to work on.
Just know you are loved & we praise God dialy for you and your wife.